In 2014, September was declared a united international month for raising awareness of childhood cancer and this September, Hassocks Goes Gold too. The aim of the Glow Gold September Campaign is to literally shine a gold light on the issue of childhood cancer. Edinburgh Castle, The Brighton Wheel & Sydney Opera House have all glowed gold to show support. Now Hassocks is joining in too.
Many of you will be aware that, in 2017, a much-loved Hassocks resident and Windmills pupil, Pearl Dixie BartlettBundy died from bone cancer, aged ten. In Pearl’s memory, her family desperately want to stop similar tragedies affecting other families.
One child in 500 will develop some form of cancer by the age of 14 years and, tragically, 1 in 5 of those children diagnosed with cancer will die as a result.
Medical experts still don’t understand the cause of many childhood cancers and, though there have been improvements in some childhood cancer survival rates, some have not changed for over 30 years. Diagnosis, treatments and survival rates for children can improve through research and increasing awareness.
Hassocks businesses are already signing up to host ribbon/wristband boxes, sponsor giant gold ribbons and display lovely golden sunflower posters that the children of Hassocks are helping to design.
There are lots of ways in which Hassocks residents can be involved too:
• Decorate your garden: grow golden yellow flowers in your window boxes or garden; light gold fairy lights in the September evening.
• Decorate your homes/offices: shine a gold light; display a poster; decorate your front window with anything gold.
• Think gold: wear a gold ribbon/wristband; dress in gold clothes; gold nail varnish; sport a gold wig.
• Host a gold event: bake gold cakes; have a gold themed street party; the sky is the limit…
• Sponsor a Giant Ribbon: £10 will buy a giant gold ribbon bow tied around a prominent Hassocks tree or landmark with your name attached to show you care.
Please pledge your support, share your gold ideas, download a poster, or sponsor a giant ribbon - by emailing: HassocksGoesGold@gmail.com or by joining Facebook/HassocksGoesGold and let’s turn the whole of Hassocks GOLD together!